Invitation to the conference « Business & human rights »
organised by UEL and INDR in partnership with the Ministry of the Economy and its National Contact Point for OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises and with the cooperation of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
22nd October 2019 at the Chamber of Commerce, Luxembourg-Kirchberg at 5 pm
The globalisation and intensification of interactions between businesses and states, individuals, civil society and customers, have strongly enhanced the responsibility of companies, especially international ones, to protect human rights by reducing or eliminating their negative impacts in economic, social and environmental terms, and by assuring access to remedy. The conference will present the international and national contexts of the issue.
Yet, how can companies tackle this issue?
A panel of economic actors will debate on the respect of human rights within companies, the implementation of a due diligence policy, the means put into place, the remedies in case of incidents, the access to grievance and remedy mechanisms, the companies’ commitment to meeting their responsibilities, how to address the problems encountered etc. Best practices will be helpful to other companies or any stakeholders with an interest in this matter.
|5.00 pm||Welcome Address|
|Nicolas Buck, Chairman of UEL and INDR|
|5.10 pm||Keynote Address|
|The International Context|
|Başak Bağlayan PhD, Post-Doctoral Researcher in Fundamental Rights
Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance, Université du Luxembourg
|5.40 pm||The National Context|
|Marc Bichler, Ambassador-at-Large for Human Rights, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs|
|5.55 pm||The Ministry of Economy’s Intervention and Role through the National Action Point|
|Tom Theves, First government counsellor, Chief of Staff to Minister Etienne Schneider, Ministry of Economy|
|6.15 pm||Panel « Human Rights at the Heart of Business »|
- Claude Lanners, Head of Group Strategic Purchasing, CERATIZIT Luxembourg
- Hakan Lucius, Head of Corporate Responsibility and Civil Society Division, European Investment Bank
- Jean-François Orban, CEO, Maâ-oui!
- Christian Schuller, National Contact Point for OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises, Ministry of Economy
- Michel Wurth, Chairman of the Board, ArcelorMittal Luxembourg
- Norman Fisch, Secretary general of INDR
Honorary guests will have the opportunity to present their role and position in business and human rights :
- Catia De Oliveira Goncalves – Direction des Relations économiques internationales du Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes
- Marie-Anne Marx – Directrice adjointe, Direction de la coopération au développement et de l’action humanitaire
- Me François Prum – Union internationale des Avocats
- Anne-Catherine Richard – Responsable des partenariats, UNICEF-Luxembourg
- Fabienne Rossler – Secrétaire générale, Commission Consultative des droits de l’homme (CCDH)
- Paul Schmit – Ambassadeur – Diplomatie économique, Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes
- Jean-Louis Zeien – Président de Fairtrade Luxembourg, Justice et Paix, et porte-parole de l’Initiative pour un devoir de vigilance
|7.15 pm||Questions & Answers|
|7.25 pm||Closing Word|
|Jean-Paul Olinger, Director of UEL and INDR|
|8.00 pm||End of programme|
Practical information :
Working languages will be English and French. Simultaneous translation will be provided in both languages.
Participation is free of charge but registration is compulsory via the form further below
Chambre de Commerce :
7, rue Alcide de Gasperi
Parking spaces available
Bus lines 8, 20, tram (arrêt Coque)
Contact : email@example.com
Please note that by participating to this event, you agree to the broadcast and posting of photos that may be used for communication purposes.